Monday, March 9, 2015

You Just Can't Measure Accountability

Today, I would like to shed light on one of my many important roles as a business and personal coach. This is the role of being an accountability partner.

The following is an example of an actual case of mine:

I had a client who had difficulty keeping his commitments. This issue affected not only work and social commitments involving other people, but primarily it affected his personal commitments to himself. One of his personal commitments involved adhering to a consistent exercise routine in his method of choice.

I began asking him specific questions concerning this practice, in order that he might set realistic goals. I asked him how often he wanted to exercise, for how long, and which activity he preferred. Eventually, he narrowed down his commitment to a concentrated 30 minutes of walking, hiking, biking, or other such cardio exercises—every day.

Once we had established this desire, I asked the client when he would like to begin. I recommended that he begin immediately--so as not to get discouraged through procrastination--and I asked that he send me a daily e-mail for the next two weeks, confirming that he had completed the exercise.

He was greatly encouraged by this idea, and he took my counsel. For the next two weeks, I received daily confirmation e-mails from this client. I responded to each one with a personal acknowledgement and a few “attaboys!” thrown in.

My client became very energized and committed because of this accountability method, and he has continued to e-mail me his exercise success stories every day since that meeting.

As a personal and business coach, I am always encouraged and pleased with success stories like these. If you know someone who is serious about changing their life, needs some guidance, or maybe just needs an accountability partner, send them my way. Thank you.


Hardy Hasenfuss,  Personal and Business Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment